Australian Facetors' Guild Limited

Don Clark's book "Modern Faceting - The Easy Way"

• 29 Oct 2022 9:14 PM
    Message # 12970869

A discussion has been going on in the USFG regarding Don Clark's book.

Don Clark started IGS and offered his book on site.  He later sold IGS. 

He is deceased and the book is no longer available at IGS.

My understanding is that the book is an excellent source of information on creating faceting designs using Gem Cad & Gem Ray programs.  

I'm curious if anyone in the AU guild might have a copy of it and if they might be willing to share it.

So many of the great earlier faceters articles and information has been lost to time, I think it's important to keep their information available, we can all learn from the past.

Thanks

Glenn

• 24 Apr 2023 6:03 PM
    Reply # 13178265 on 12970869

Hi Glenn,

I went looking for Don Clarke's book about a year ago and couldn't find a copy anywhere. However, a lapidary in the US kindly sent me a scan of his copy (in 5 PDFs, no less), so I have a bootleg copy that I can share if no legitimate copy can be found. 

I personally prefer the work of Jeff Graham and other meetpoint cutters, but Don's system is very good when you want to cut for maximum yield. 

Kind Regards

Sarah

• 25 Apr 2023 9:48 AM
    Reply # 13179346 on 12970869

Sarah,

Could you please e-mail me a copy (or post in the Forum) of the acknowledgements from the book as I am interested to know the source of his information other than his original (?) techniques. I often wonder about the techniques used by the many facetors who were working in the Sapphire and Rubyvale area in the past.

Kind regards,

Bruce

Last modified: 25 Apr 2023 9:49 AM | Anonymous member
  • 26 Apr 2023 9:27 AM
    Reply # 13180634 on 12970869

Hi Bruce,

Here's the first portion of the book. I can't see any obvious acknowledgements, but perhaps the information you're looking for is here. 

Sarah

1 file
  • 27 Apr 2023 12:36 AM
    Reply # 13181235 on 12970869

That was all I could find in my copy of his book too Sarah.  From what I understand he just wrote his own book based upon his experience in faceting to help others.  He never referenced others specifically.

Glenn

• 27 Apr 2023 7:49 AM
    Reply # 13181954 on 12970869

Hello Sarah and Glenn,

Many thanks for Part 1 of the book and for your comments.

I dusted off my copy of "Cutting Gemstones - A beginner's guide to faceting" and re-read the Foreword by Alexandre Wolkonsky. Also, the Acknowledgements.

Don was a prolific writer and sharer of information, and I can recommend that readers visit the IGS website and review his other contributions.

Bruce

Last modified: 27 Apr 2023 7:52 AM | Anonymous member

Copyright 2015 Australian Facetors' Guild Limited  •  Site by Highland Creative